Inter Miami CF parted ways with head coach Diego Alonso, the team announced Thursday morning.
The move comes on the heels of ESPN reporting Inter Miami's co-owner David Beckham talked with former Manchester United teammate Phil Neville about coaching the team.
Alonso, 45, guided Inter Miami to a 7-13-3 record in 23 matches (1.04 points per game) and a 10th-place finish in the Eastern Conference last season. Inter Miami dropped a 3-0 decision to fellow expansion team Nashville SC on Nov. 20 in the play-in round of the MLS Cup playoffs.
"On behalf of the organization, I want to thank Diego for his hard work and dedication during our inaugural season and wish him the best in his future endeavors," Inter Miami managing owner Jorge Mas said. "This was a difficult year and a very tough decision for everyone, but we believe it is the right step for the club. We have great expectations for Inter Miami in the short and long term."
Alonso said he was appreciative of the opportunity to preside over Inter Miami in their first season of play.
"Going through the journey of this inaugural season with Inter Miami has been an incredible experience, and I am thankful to the ownership group for the opportunity," Alonso said. "I want to thank the staff for their work and friendship, the players for their efforts on the field, and especially the fans for their constant support throughout the year. I wish everyone the best this upcoming season."
Inter Miami have undergone significant change of late. Paul McDonough stepped down from his role as chief operating officer and sporting director last month and decorated goalkeeper Luis Robles announced his retirement on Wednesday.