Cincinnati Reds vs. Washington Nationals Preview and Predictions 08-14-2019 in MLB
Stephen Strasburg hopes the third time is the charm on Wednesday as he attempts to match a career high in wins when the Washington Nationals vie for a three-game series sweep against the visiting Cincinnati Reds. Strasburg, who won 15 games in 2012, 2016, 2017, emerged victorious in seven straight starts before surrendering five homers in his last two trips to the mound.
Advice: Do you want to bet on this series? Check our Intertops Sportsbook Review
Juan Soto (ankle) and Brian Dozier (illness) each homered in their respective returns to the starting lineup in Tuesday's 4-2 win for Washington, which has won six of eight overall to strengthen its hold on the NL's top wild card. Soto has four homers, seven RBIs and six runs scored in his last five games heading into his first career encounter against Reds right-hander Trevor Bauer. Cincinnati's Joey Votto has reached base seven times (four hits, three walks) in the series and carries a five-game hitting streak into the finale. The 2010 NL MVP has enjoyed success versus Strasburg, going 6-for-18 with two homers in his career.
TV: 4:05 p.m. ET, MLB Network, FS Ohio (Cincinnati), MASN2 (Washington)
PITCHING MATCHUP: Reds RH Trevor Bauer (10-8, 3.74 ERA) vs. Nationals RH Stephen Strasburg (14-5, 3.72)
Bauer answered a lackluster first start with Cincinnati with a sterling second one on Friday, as the 28-year-old highlighted his one-run performance over seven innings with 11 strikeouts in a 5-2 win against the Chicago Cubs. The 28-year-old has registered seven games with double-digit strikeouts in 2019 while his total versus the Cubs was one shy of his season high. Bauer, who scattered four hits over 6 1/3 scoreless innings in his lone career start against Washington, has flustered Adam Eaton (4-for-24), Dozier (8-for-39, seven strikeouts) and Kurt Suzuki (3-for-14).
Strasburg followed up a three-homer performance against Arizona on Aug. 3 by being taken deep twice six nights later to receive a no-decision against the New York Mets. Those results are staggering considering that the 31-year-old had allowed just one homer during a scintillating seven-start winning streak from June 21-July 28. Strasburg, who owns a 4-1 mark with a 4.01 ERA in nine career starts versus Cincinnati, has kept Derek Dietrich (2-for-24, six strikeouts) and Eugenio Suarez (2-for-12) under wraps.
1. Cincinnati LF Jesse Winker is 3-for-8 with a homer in the series after collecting just one hit in his previous nine at-bats.
2. Washington SS Trea Turner has hit safely in seven consecutive contests and owns a 21-game on-base streak.
3. Reds rookie RF Aristides Aquino went 0-for-4 on Tuesday to see his nine-game hitting streak and seven-game RBI run come to an end.
News Breaking News
Key Players to Watch
- BATTING 0.350 Andrew Stevenson #17 | LF
- HOMERUNS 28 Juan Soto #22 | LF
- RUNS BATTED IN 97 Anthony Rendon #6 | 3B
- STOLEN BASES 26 Trea Turner #7 | SS
- EARNED RUN AVERAGE 162 Austen Williams #53 | RP
- WINS 15 Stephen Strasburg #37 | SP
- STRIKEOUTS 111 Victor Robles #16 | CF
- SAVES 28 Sean Doolittle #63 | RP
- BATTING 0.357 Michael Lorenzen #21 | RP
- HOMERUNS 34 Eugenio Suarez #7 | 3B
- RUNS BATTED IN 77 Eugenio Suarez #7 | 3B
- STOLEN BASES 10 Nick Senzel #15 | LF
- EARNED RUN AVERAGE 13.500 Sal Romano #47 | SP
- WINS 11 Luis Castillo #58 | SP
- STRIKEOUTS 139 Eugenio Suarez #7 | 3B
- SAVES 24 Raisel Iglesias #26 | RP
no tickets found.
- KneeEarly Sept | 10-day IL
Doolittle has been placed on the 10-day injured list with right knee tendinitis. He is expected to return in early September.
- PersonalOut indefinitely | out
Dozier has been placed on the paternity list to be with his family after the birth of his child. He is permitted to miss one to three days.
- FootLate Aug | 10-day IL
Zimmerman has been designated for the 10-day injured list due to plantar fasciitis in his right foot and is likely to be idle until at least the end of August.
- ShoulderLate Aug | 10-day IL
Voth has been placed on the 10-day injured list due to right shoulder tendinitis, and he is likely to be out until at least the end of August.
- ShoulderLate Aug | 10-day IL
Williams has been designated for the 10-day injured list due to a sprained AC joint in his right shoulder. He is expected to be on the IL until sometime in August.
- ForearmLate Aug | 60-day IL
Glover has been transferred to the 60-day disabled list with a right forearm strain and will remain out of the lineup until towards the end of August.
- AnkleProb Tues | probable
Soto was held out of the previous game due to a mild right ankle strain but is likely to suit up Tuesday against the Reds.
- IllnessProb Tues | probable
Dozier is expected to face the Reds on Tuesday despite flu-like symptoms.
- BackOut Mon | out
Winker has been dealing with a back injury and will not be in the lineup for Monday's contest against the Padres.
- ElbowOut Mon | out
Senzel is hampered by a sore left elbow and will not suit up against the Padres on Monday.
- ShoulderLate Aug | 10-day IL
Dietrich has landed on the 10-day injured list due to left shoulder inflammation. He is likely to return towards the end of August.
- KneeQues Fri | 10-day IL
Casali is on the 10-day injured list due to a sprained right knee. It is uncertain if he will return Friday against the Pirates.
- BackLate Aug | 10-day IL
Votto has been placed on the 10-day injured list with a lower-back strain. He is expected to rejoin the lineup towards the end of August.
- SuspensionElig Tues | out
Garrett is serving an eight-game suspension due to his role in an altercation. He is expected to be reinstated in time for Tuesday's game against the Padres.
- BackQues Sun | questionable
Winker sat out the last two games due to upper-back tightness. It is unclear if he will participate in Sunday's clash against the Cardinals.
- ThumbProb Sun | probable
Suarez did not participate in the last game due to a sprained left thumb, but is expected to take the field against the Cardinals on Sunday.
washington-nationals Stats 2019
cincinnati-reds Stats 2019