Houston Astros vs. Detroit Tigers Preview and Predictions 05-15-2019 in MLB
The Houston Astros take aim at their second straight series sweep and an eighth consecutive win overall when they finish a three-game set at the Detroit Tigers on Wednesday. Behind another big night for leadoff hitter George Springer, who had an inside-the-park home run and scored three times, the Astros rolled to an 11-4 win Tuesday night after taking the series opener 8-1.
Houston has scored at least six runs eight times during a 10-1 surge and boasts 33 homers in that stretch. Springer is 11-for-17 with three home runs, 10 runs scored and six RBIs during a remarkable four-game hitting streak. Former Tigers great Justin Verlander will make his second appearance in Detroit since being traded to Houston during the 2017 season. The former MVP, who is 98-50 in 188 career starts in Comerica Park, will be opposed by rookie Gregory Soto making his second career start.
TV: 7:10 p.m. ET, AT&T SportsNet Southwest (Houston), FS Detroit
PITCHING MATCHUP: Astros RH Justin Verlander (6-1, 2.51 ERA) vs. Tigers LH Gregory Soto (0-1, 15.75)
Verlander yielded just one hit in seven scoreless innings while fanning eight in a dominant win over Texas on Friday. He has allowed one or zero runs in five of his last six starts. The 36-year-old allowed two runs over seven innings to get the win in his return to Detroit last September.
Soto is being recalled to start just three days after he was sent down to Double-A Erie in the wake of a difficult major league debut. The 24-year-old gave up seven runs and nine hits across four innings of a loss at Minnesota on Saturday, striking out one and walking two. He went 0-1 with a 2.03 ERA in three starts for Erie.
1. Tigers INF Ronny Rodriguez hit his sixth home run Tuesday and has 16 extra-base hits in 21 games overall.
2. Astros LF Michael Brantley has multiple hits in nine of his last 14 games.
3. Houston has won five straight in Detroit.
News Breaking News
Key Players to Watch
- BATTING 1 Gregory Soto #65 | RP
- HOMERUNS 14 Brandon Dixon #12 | 2B
- RUNS BATTED IN 49 Miguel Cabrera #24 | 1B
- STOLEN BASES 12 Niko Goodrum #28 | LF
- EARNED RUN AVERAGE 17.182 Jose Manuel Fernandez #57 | RP
- WINS 6 Matthew Boyd #48 | SP
- STRIKEOUTS 136 Niko Goodrum #28 | LF
- SAVES 22 Shane Greene #61 | RP
- BATTING 0.335 Michael Brantley #23 | LF
- HOMERUNS 30 Alex Bregman #2 | 3B
- RUNS BATTED IN 88 Yuli Gurriel #10 | 1B
- STOLEN BASES 10 Jake Marisnick #6 | CF
- EARNED RUN AVERAGE 21.600 Tyler White #13 | 1B
- WINS 15 Justin Verlander #35 | SP
- STRIKEOUTS 109 Robinson Chirinos #28 | C
- SAVES 28 Roberto Osuna #54 | RP
no tickets found.
- ConcussionEarly Sept | 7-day IL
Stewart has been placed on the seven-day injured list due to a concussion. He has begun a rehabilitation assignment and is likely to be activated before the beginning of September.
- GroinDoub Tues | doubtful
Goodrum sat out the last game due to a sore groin and is unlikely to be a participant in Tuesday's contest against the Astros.
- PersonalOut indefinitely | out
Boyd has been placed on the paternity list for the birth of his child. He is permitted to miss one to three days.
- ThumbEarly Sept | 10-day IL
Candelario has been placed on the 10-day injured list due to a left thumb sprain. He is likely to remain of the IL until at least the start of September.
- Elbowout for season | 60-day IL
Hardy is expected to spend the remainder of the season on the 60-day injured list with a left flexor tendon strain.
- NeckProb Sat | probable
Zimmermann has been reinstated from the 10-day injured list after a right cervical spasm. It is expected that he will return to the starting rotation for Saturday's contest against the Rays.
- Wristout for season | 10-day IL
Jones has a fractured left wrist and is likely to miss the remainder of the season while on the 10-day injured list.
- HamstringMid Aug | 10-day IL
Harrison has been transferred to the 60-day injured list after undergoing surgery to repair a Grade 2 left hamstring strain and a partial tear. He is likely to be activated during the middle of August.
- PectoralOut indefinitely | out
Sanches will spend an undetermined length of time rehabbing a sore pectoral muscle.
- HeadOut indefinitely | 10-day IL
Diaz has landed on the 10-day injured list with dizziness and is likely to be sidelined for an undetermined length of time.
- BackOut indefinitely | out
Correa is sidelined due to back discomfort and will miss an extended period.
- ShoulderEarly Sept | 10-day IL
James is on the 10-day injured list due to right shoulder soreness, but he is likely to return to the bullpen during the start of September.
- RestQues Mon | questionable
Altuve is not expected to suit up against the Tigers on Monday due to a day of rest.
- Upper BodyOut indefinitely | 10-day IL
White will spend an extended period on the 10-day injured list with a right trapezius strain.
- ShoulderQues Sun | 10-day IL
Peacock has been placed on the 10-day injured list with right shoulder discomfort. He sustained a setback in his recovery and it is unclear if he will be activated for Sunday's contest against the Athletics.
- RestQues Tues | questionable
Altuve is likely to be out of the starting lineup for Game 2 of Tuesday's doubleheader against the White Sox as he is expected to receive a day of rest.
detroit-tigers Stats 2019
houston-astros Stats 2019