The Minnesota Twins look to extend their season-high winning streak to five games when they visit the Houston Astros on Tuesday for the middle contest of their three-game set. The Twins have scored 35 runs during their four-game surge, with the latest productive outing being Monday's 9-5 victory in the series opener.
Jorge Polanco went 4-for-5 with a homer and a season-best four RBIs in Monday's triumph to raise his batting average to .392. Jason Castro also went deep and C.J. Cron stroked a two-run double as Minnesota racked up 12 hits during the victory. Houston has allowed 29 runs during its three-game losing streak and has dropped four of its last five contests. Carlos Correa hit a three-run homer and Michael Brantley added a solo slot in Monday's setback.
TV: 8:10 p.m. ET, FS North (Minnesota), AT&T SportsNet-Southwest (Houston)
PITCHING MATCHUP: Twins RH Michael Pineda (2-1, 5.30 ERA) vs. Astros LH Wade Miley (1-2, 3.32)
Pineda was torched for six runs and seven hits - including two homers - in 3 2/3 innings while losing to Toronto in his last turn. The 30-year-old has registered 16 strikeouts and issued just three walks in 18 2/3 frames over four starts. Pineda is 3-3 with a 4.40 ERA in seven career turns against the Astros and has been roughed up by Correa (7-for-13, three homers), George Springer (6-for-17, two) and Jose Altuve (6-for-16).
Miley lost to Oakland in his last turn, when he gave up two runs and four hits over six innings. The 32-year-old has lost both times in which he has lasted six frames this season - his shortest outing is four innings. Miley is 1-0 with a 5.59 ERA in two career starts against the Twins and has struggled to retire former Astro Marwin Gonzalez (7-for-15, one homer).
1. Gonzalez, a key cog on Houston's 2017 World Series championship squad, received a warm welcome in his first return as a visiting player but was hitless in four at-bats.
2. Houston RF Josh Reddick has recorded three three-hit performances in his last five games, going 11-for-21 during the stretch.
3. Minnesota RF Max Kepler (1-for-3, two walks) and RHP Blake Parker (one scoreless inning) each returned Monday from three-game absences due to stomach illnesses.
News Breaking News
Key Players to Watch
- BATTING 0.325 Josh Reddick #22 | RF
- HOMERUNS 17 George Springer #4 | RF
- RUNS BATTED IN 43 George Springer #4 | RF
- STOLEN BASES 4 George Springer #4 | RF
- EARNED RUN AVERAGE 6.750 Reymin Guduan #64 | RP
- WINS 8 Justin Verlander #35 | SP
- STRIKEOUTS 51 Carlos Correa #1 | SS
- SAVES 13 Roberto Osuna #54 | RP
no tickets found.
- HamstringQues Tues | 10-day IL
Altuve has landed on the 10-day injured list with a left hamstring strain. His recovery is progressing well, and he is lining up to rejoin the team for Tuesday's tilt against the Cubs.
- HamstringOut indefinitely | 10-day IL
Springer is on the 10-day injured list with a Grade 2 left hamstring strain. He is without a definitive return date.
- KneeOut indefinitely | 10-day IL
Stassi has been placed on the 10-day injured list with left knee soreness. There is currently no timetable for his return.
- HamstringDoub Mon | doubtful
Diaz departed the previous game due to a left hamstring discomfort and is not expected to face the Cubs on Monday.
- ElbowOut indefinitely | 10-day IL
McHugh has been placed on the 10-day injured list with right elbow discomfort, and there is no timetable for recovery.
- BackProb Fri | probable
Springer has been held out of the past four games due to lower-back stiffness but is expected to draw back into the lineup against the Red Sox on Friday.
- HamstringProb Tues | probable
Diaz missed his third straight game with a Grade 1 left hamstring strain, but he is expected to play Tuesday against the White Sox.
- AchillesMid June | 10-day IL
Smith is on the 10-day injured list and will and is not expected to return until at least the middle of June.
- View Full List
- WristQues Mon | 10-day IL
Cruz has been placed on the 10-day injured list due to a left wrist strain, and it is unclear if he will be activated prior to Monday's game against the Brewers.
- KneeProb Fri | probable
Kepler left the previous game due to a right knee contusion, but it is likely he will play Friday against the White Sox.
- CalfEarly June | 10-day IL
Mejia has landed on the 10-day injured list with a right calf strain and is expected to be away from the mound until at least the beginning of June.
- AnkleEarly June | 10-day IL
Garver has landed on the 10-day injured list due to a left high-ankle sprain and is expected to miss two to three weeks.
- HeelQues Thurs | questionable
Sano has been activated from the 10-day injured list where he was recovering from a debridement procedure to repair a laceration to his lower-right heel, and it is unclear if he will make his season debut Thursday against the Mariners.
- ShoulderProb Tues | probable
Schoop is expected to suit up Tuesday against the Angels despite left shoulder soreness.
- Shoulderday-to-day | questionable
Schoop is battling soreness in his left shoulder and will not play Monday against the Angels.
- View Full List
houston-astros Stats 2019
minnesota-twins Stats 2019