Chicago White Sox vs. Houston Astros Preview and Predictions 05-23-2019 in MLB
Eloy Jimenez is coming off the second two-homer game of his promising career and he will look to help the Chicago White Sox gain a four-game split against the host Houston Astros on Thursday. The rookie outfielder clubbed two solo blasts on Wednesday as Chicago rolled to a 9-4 win.
Jimenez returned Monday after a layoff of three-plus weeks due to an ankle injury and was 0-for-7 with four strikeouts in the first two games of the series before fueling Wednesday's victory. Charlie Tilson hit a grand slam and Jose Abreu belted a solo shot as the White Sox halted a three-game slide. The setback was just the second in the past 14 games for Houston, which also became the first team to hit into a triple play this season when Jake Marisnick bounced into one in the third inning. Astros standout Alex Bregman smacked his 10th homer of the month and has 15 on the season.
TV: 8:10 p.m. ET, MLB Network, NBCS Chicago, AT&T SportsNet Southwest (Houston)
PITCHING MATCHUP: White Sox RH Lucas Giolito (5-1, 3.35 ERA) vs. Astros RH Corbin Martin (1-0, 3.86)
Giolito has won three straight starts and pitched well in each as he gave up two runs and 10 hits over 19 1/3 innings combined. The 24-year-old has struck out 20 batters during the stretch to raise his total to 50 in 43 innings. Giolito has struggled against the Astros, going 0-3 with a 7.31 ERA in three career starts and has served up two homers to Michael Brantley (3-for-6) and one to Josh Reddick (3-for-7).
Martin is making his third start since recently being recalled from Triple-A Round Rock. The 23-year-old beat the Texas Rangers in his first start when he struck out nine, walked one and gave up two runs on three hits over 5 1/3 innings on May 12. Things didn't go so smoothly in a no-decision against the Boston Red Sox six days later as he gave up three runs (two earned) and five hits over four innings while issuing four walks without notching a strikeout.
1. Astros 2B Jose Altuve (hamstring) will start a minor league rehab stint either Thursday or Friday and should rejoin the team early next week.
2. Chicago recalled Thyago Vieira from Triple-A Charlotte and optioned fellow RHP Jose Ruiz to the same affiliate.
3. Houston OF George Springer (back) took indoor batting practice on Wednesday, his first time swinging the bat since leaving Sunday's game against the Boston Red Sox.
News Breaking News
Key Players to Watch
- BATTING 0.337 Michael Brantley #23 | LF
- HOMERUNS 31 Alex Bregman #2 | 3B
- RUNS BATTED IN 91 Yuli Gurriel #10 | 1B
- STOLEN BASES 10 Jake Marisnick #6 | CF
- EARNED RUN AVERAGE 21.600 Tyler White #13 | 1B
- WINS 15 Justin Verlander #35 | SP
- STRIKEOUTS 111 Robinson Chirinos #28 | C
- SAVES 31 Roberto Osuna #54 | RP
- HeadQues Tues | 10-day IL
Diaz has landed on the 10-day injured list with dizziness, and it is unclear if he will return Tuesday against the Rays.
- PectoralOut indefinitely | 10-day IL
Sanches will spend an undetermined length of time on the 10-day injured list with soreness in his right pectoral muscle.
- BackEarly Sept | 10-day IL
Correa is sidelined due to lower-back stiffness and has been designated for the 10-day injured list. It is unknown if he will return Sept. 8 against the Mariners.
- RestQues Fri | questionable
Alvarez is not expected to be in the starting lineup against the Angels on Friday as he is likely to receive a day of rest.
- ShoulderEarly Sept | 10-day IL
James is on the 10-day injured list due to right shoulder soreness, but he is likely to return to the bullpen during the start of September.
- RestQues Mon | questionable
Altuve is not expected to suit up against the Tigers on Monday due to a day of rest.
- Upper BodyOut indefinitely | 10-day IL
White will spend an extended period on the 10-day injured list with a right trapezius strain.
- ShoulderQues Sun | 10-day IL
Peacock has been placed on the 10-day injured list with right shoulder discomfort. He sustained a setback in his recovery and it is unclear if he will be activated for Sunday's contest against the Athletics.
Chicago White Sox
- PersonalOut indefinitely | out
Fry is allowed to miss up to three days while on the paternity list.
- HamstringEarly Sept | 10-day IL
Fulmer has been placed on the 10-day injured list due to a strained right hamstring and is likely to be away from the field until at least the start of September.
- HipQues Sat | questionable
Jimenez was held out of the previous two games with soreness in his hip, and it is uncertain if he will play Saturday against the Rangers.
- HamstringProb Thurs | probable
Moncada has been activated from the 10-day injured list after recovering from a Grade 1 right hamstring strain and will likely be back on the field Thursday against the Rangers.
- FingerProb Thurs | probable
Garcia has missed the past four games due to a contusion on his right index finger, but he is expected to return to the lineup against the Angels on Thursday.
- ObliqueProb Sun | 10-day IL
Herrera has been activated from the 10-day injured list and is expected to to return for Sunday's game against the Athletics.
houston-astros Stats 2019