New England Patriots vs. Miami Dolphins Pick & Prediction DEC 20TH 2020
353New England Patriots354Miami Dolphins
7 Day Trial for $1/Day
New England Patriots vs. Miami Dolphins Recap DEC 20TH 2020
Seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Antonio Brown scored a touchdown in his New England Patriots debut, leading his new team to a 43-0 rout over the host Miami Dolphins on Sunday afternoon.
Miami, which made just two first downs through the first three quarters, was led by Ryan Fitzpatrick, who completed 11 of 21 passes for 89 yards and three interceptions, including two pick-sixes.
Stephon Gilmore (54 yards) and Jamie Collins (69 yards) returned those interceptions for touchdowns. Collins added a second interception off Josh Rosen, who finished 7 of 18 for 97 yards.
The Patriots (2-0) and Dolphins (0-2) are AFC East rivals but are also at opposite ends of the NFL spectrum. The Patriots have won three of the past five Super Bowls. The Dolphins have been outscored 102-10 through two weeks.
Former Patriots assistant Brian Flores, who now runs the Dolphins, has yet to win a game as a head coach.
Brown, a Miami native, finished with four catches for 56 yards and one run for 5 yards.
Patriots quarterback Tom Brady passed for two touchdown passes and also had a 1-yard TD run. He completed 20 of 28 passes for 264 yards.
New England running back Sony Michel -- who is also a South Florida native -- ran 21 times for a game-high 85 yards and one touchdown. However, he lost one fumble.
The Patriots prevailed despite a shaky performance by Stephen Gostkowski, who missed two extra points and a 48-yard field-goal attempt. He did not miss a kick of any kind in Week 1.
New England scored on its first possession, traveling 60 yards in 10 plays. Brown caught three passes for 36 yards on the drive and also drew a defensive-holding penalty, and Michel's 1-yard run capped the march.
The Patriots went up 13-0 on Brady's 20-yard touchdown pass to Brown, who got away with a slight shove of Dolphins cornerback Jomal Wiltz, formerly of the Patriots. After making the contested catch, Brown dove into the end zone stands, where he was greeted by fans.
New England opened the third-quarter scoring on Gostkowski's 28-yard field goal, and the Patriots went up 23-0 later in the period as Brady scored on a quarterback sneak.
The Patriots started the fourth quarter with those two interception returns, and the rout was on from there.
--Field Level Media
Rookie quarterback Tua Tagovailoa ran for a pair of fourth-quarter touchdowns as the host Miami Dolphins defeated the New England Patriots 22-12 on Sunday.
Tagovailoa passed for 145 yards (one interception), keeping Miami (9-5) on track for its first playoff berth since 2016. The Dolphins are guaranteed to make the playoffs with wins in their final two regular-season games.
New England (6-8) was led by Nick Folk, who made four field goals. Quarterback Cam Newton passed for 209 yards.
However, the Patriots had their streak of 19 consecutive winning seasons snapped.
In addition, the Patriots lost cornerback Stephon Gilmore -- the NFL's reigning Defensive Player of the Year --to a knee injury in the second quarter; he did not return.
New England also lost starting linebacker Ja'Whaun Bentley (arm injury).
Miami played without four of its top offensive playmakers: wide receiver DeVante Parker (hamstring), tight end Mike Gesicki (shoulder), running back Myles Gaskin (COVID protocol); and kick returner Jakeem Grant (hamstring). Starting guard Erect Flowers (ankle) was also out, and his backup Solomon Kindley (leg) left in the third quarter.
There were no scores in the first quarter, but Miami had a 95-yard drive that ended with J.C. Jackson's eighth interception of the season. On third-and-goal from the three, Tagovailoa, pressured by defensive end Chase Winovich, tossed the pass that was picked by Jackson, ending a drive that took 9:11 off the clock.
Folk made two field goals in the second quarter, from 45 yards (with 8:55 left in the half) 36 yards (with 4:19 left), giving the Patriots a 6-0 halftime lead.
The Dolphins nearly had a big play with 4:36 left in the second. Newton scrambled toward the right sideline and was tackled by rookie safety Brandon Jones, who helped force a fumble. Cornerback Xavien Howard stayed in bounds and ran 86 yards for an apparent touchdown.
However, the play was nullified on video review because the ball touched Dolphins defensive lineman Christian Wilkins while he had one foot out of bounds.
Miami's forgettable first half finished with Jason Sanders missing a 52-yard field goal wide left.
The Dolphins finally got on the board with 10:32 left in the third quarter, taking a 7-6 lead on Salvon Ahmed's one-yard run and Sanders' extra point.
New England headed to the fourth quarter with a 9-7 lead thanks to another 45-yarder by Folk.
However, the Patriots failed to get into the end zone for the third straight game, and they could not rally. Tagovailoa scored a 3-yard, go-ahead TD with 12:55 left before Folk kicked a 42-yard field goal with 9:07 left to cut the Miami lead to 15-12. Tagovailoa put the game away with a 1-yard quarterback sneak with 3:17 remaining.
--Field Level Media
This Game Has a Premium Report
Please Sign-In or Register
- N.Y. Jets W 14 - 28
- Buffalo L 38 - 9
- @Miami L 12 - 22
- @L.A. Rams L 3 - 24
- @L.A. Chargers W 45 - 0
- Arizona W 17 - 20
- @Houston L 20 - 27
- Baltimore W 17 - 23
- @N.Y. Jets W 30 - 27
- @Buffalo L 21 - 24
- @Buffalo L 26 - 56
- @Las Vegas W 26 - 25
- New England W 12 - 22
- Kansas City L 33 - 27
- Cincinnati W 7 - 19
- @N.Y. Jets W 20 - 3
- @Denver L 13 - 20
- L.A. Chargers W 21 - 29
- @Arizona W 34 - 31
- L.A. Rams W 17 - 28
- Washington(08-09-18) W 17 - 26
- @Philadelphia(11-17-19) W 17 - 10
- @N.Y. Giants(08-30-18) W 17 - 12
- Miami(09-13-20) W 11 - 21
- @Chicago(08-13-15) L 10 - 27
- Atlanta(08-08-19) W 27 - 34
- @Cincinnati(10-07-18) L 17 - 27
- @New England(09-13-20) L 11 - 21
- Patriots @ Dolphins 12-22
- Dolphins @ Patriots 11-21
- Dolphins @ Patriots 27-24
- Patriots @ Dolphins 43-0
- Patriots @ Dolphins 33-34
- Dolphins @ Patriots 7-38
- Patriots @ Dolphins 20-27
- Dolphins @ Patriots 17-35
- Patriots @ Dolphins 35-14
- Dolphins @ Patriots 24-31
- AchillesMid Dec | out
James is likely to be out of the lineup until at least the middle of December after tearing his Achilles tendon during the offseason.
- TrendUnder is 12-5 in Dolphins last 17 games as an underdog of 10.5 or greater.Hit %70.60% (17)O/U5|12Push0W/L
- TrendOver is 5-2 in Dolphins last 7 games as a favorite of 0.5-3.0.Hit %71.40% (7)O/U5|2Push0W/L
- TrendUnder is 5-1 in Dolphins last 6 games as a home favorite.Hit %83.30% (6)O/U1|5Push0W/L
- TrendOver is 7-3 in Dolphins last 10 games as a home underdog of 3.5-10.0.Hit %70.00% (10)O/U7|3Push0W/L
New England Trends
- TrendUnder is 5-1 in Patriots last 6 games as a favorite of 0.5-3.0.Hit %83.30% (6)O/U5|2Push0W/L
- TrendUnder is 16-7 in Patriots last 23 games as a road favorite.Hit %69.60% (23)O/U7|16Push0W/L
- TrendUnder is 7-3 in Patriots last 10 games as a road favorite of 3.5-10.0.Hit %70.00% (10)O/U3|7Push0W/L
- TrendUnder is 5-2 in Patriots last 7 games as a favorite.Hit %71.40% (7)O/U1|7Push0W/L
- TrendPatriots are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 meetings in Miami.Hit %25.00% (8)O/UPush0W/L2|6
- TrendFavorite is 11-5 ATS in their last 16 meetings.Hit %68.80% (16)O/UPush0W/L11|5
- TrendHome team is 14-3 ATS in their last 17 meetings.Hit %82.40% (17)O/UPush0W/L14|3